I started with this image that I snapped from the internet. I sketched what I saw at the scale that I had envisioned.
I cut out the pieces and selected several woods that I thought might be complimentary. I used the paper as templates.
Then, I shaped the wood using our belt sander and a dremel. Each of the separate feather pieces I attached using a dowel. I cut the dowel down the center using the bandsaw so the feather could fit.
Several coats of wipe on polyurethane and some work with #14 gauge wire. I balanced the wing with an egg that I carved several months ago.
I'll post a picture later when I have hung it in my new studio space.
Thanks for looking. Cheers!